Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Happy Heart: Time is Going Fast


Well, it has been a busy week, with not enough time on some days to do everything I need to do. 
(All you moms know exactly what I'm talking about.)

The best part of my week was having Hannah come home from college. I also had a great conversation on the phone with Moses. It's strange to have kids grow up and leave home. When it happens, you realize that life as you've known it doesn't exist anymore. It changes. It's still wonderful, but it's different. I have so many precious memories of everyone at home, and I miss it.

I know that this is life. I know kids grow up. I know it's all part of the plan. But, that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Right? 

Having Hannah home again has been wonderful. She is different. She has actively been building her own separate life away from us. Same with Moses. I'm very proud of both of them and it's fun to see them becoming adults. As I have thought about both of them, many fun memories have been dancing around in my mind. I've thought a lot about those memories this week. Memories of life with everyone at home. And I've realized that those memories are the foundation of what our family will become. Those memories have become little treasures that mean everything to me. I have realized that life is going to continue to move forward. All of our kids will eventually grow and move on. And things will change. Those are things I am very excited about, but it also brings with it a measure of sadness. 

I wonder, did I appreciate it as much as I should have when they were all here?
Did I give them enough of "me"?
Am I taking time to enjoy the seven that are still home?

Life is so full of.....well, EVERYTHING.

There are schedules, appointments, cleaning, cooking, homework, projects, laundry, and daily stresses.

Sometimes I have to force myself to slow down, to take a breath and remember where my time is most valuable.
I read this quote the other day and I love it. It reminds me to slow down, to enjoy my family, to make time for the things that are most important and to have my priorities in order. It's going fast. And I don't want to miss a thing. 

It's not about all the grand gestures, fancy crafts, making sure they have the newest "toys", or the big elaborate parties I could throw for them. 
It's about the small and simple things.
It's about giving of my time, my love, my attention and my best efforts.

Time is going fast and I'm feeling more aware of that simple fact than I have in a while.
Today, the time I have with my family is feeling very precious. 
And the fact that I have that time with them makes my heart very happy. 

I plan on enjoying it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment