Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Traditions: Chocolate Surprises

Well, the holidays are officially here!

There aren't words to express how much I love the holiday season.
Something changes in people.
And for a brief moment in time, it feels like the world changes.

I love it.


One of the things I love most about the holidays are traditions.
I'm a big believer in traditions.
I believe they strengthen families and make those "moments" in life more meaningful. 

I thought it would be fun to share some of our favorite traditions.
If anything, maybe it will give you a new ideas to try.

Feel free to leave a comment if you have a tradition you love.
I'm always looking for fun ideas!

Our first tradition starts December 1st.
It's one my mom did for us when I was growing up.

I'll share the tradition, but then I'll give you my "mom" tip.


TRADITION #1

CHOCOLATE ADVENT CALENDAR




We give them out on December 1st and each day you find the window with the matching number.
Inside is a little DELICIOUS shaped nugget of chocolate.

They really aren't all that delicious, but I've not met very many little kids who care.
Chocolate is chocolate.

At least to them it is.


I still remember being little and prying that little window open to see what shape my chocolate would be.

Such a simple little tradition, but one that we love.

Christmas will never be the same without our chocolate calendars.






 We usually find them at Walgreen's, but I found mine at Aldi.
They were cheaper. :)

Now for my "MOM" tip:

I've learned that when you give a young child 
a calendar full of chocolate, 
that child MAY be inclined to open every window and eat EVERY piece of chocolate in one sitting.

Then that same child MAY scream and cry on Day 2, when there are no more chocolates left.

So, if you have young children like mine, put the calendar up.

UP HIGH.

And then get it down every day for them to open their ONE window. 

just sayin'.



Let the holidays begin!

0 comments:

Post a Comment