Monday, November 5, 2012

A Boy Named Israel

Today, my heart is full of gratitude for Israel. 
He is 3rd oldest of our nine children, but right now he is the oldest at home.
It feels like I blinked and he became this grown up, really cool 18 year old.


I am grateful for Israel for many reasons.
He's not your typical 18 year old and is a hard one to describe, but I will do my best.

Israel is our observer. He sits back and quietly observes 
the world and the people in it.
I believe that his brain is always working.
Israel is just good. He's very tender hearted and is ALWAYS concerned about others. 
Because of that, people trust him and rely on him. 

He's just a remarkable young man.

Don't get me wrong, he's not perfect.

He's horrible with directions.
h.o.r.r.i.b.l.e.
And he's my pickiest eater.
p.i.c.k.y.
But, there really aren't many other faults I could share.

One of the things I am most grateful for is the 
way he loves his family.
He doesn't just tolerate us.....
he truly loves us.

And we all know it.

He's loyal.
He's protective.
And he's a great example of everything good.

That leads me to my act of kindness I wanted to share today.

On Halloween, Israel and Noah went and hung out with their friends. 
Ricky and I took the younger ones trick-or-treating.
There is one neighborhood in town which is THE neighborhood to go trick-or-treating.
We didn't go to that one.
But Israel and Noah and their group of friends did. 

yes.....I know......he's 18.
But, it's his last one! :)

When they came home later that night they had pillowcases that were over halfway full of candy. 

Luke and Lucy didn't have that much, which was perfectly 
fine with me, but it was not ok with Israel.
When Israel saw how much they got, he brought his pillowcase full of candy downstairs and LOADED their trick-or-treat bags up.

I know it was a small thing, but when those two little kids woke up in the morning and saw how their candy had multiplied, they couldn't believe it. 

It was the BEST feeling to tell them what Israel had done.

He didn't do anything huge.
Nothing grand.

But, to me, he did.
His goodness is just there.
He doesn't have to think about it.

I can't tell you how much I love this young man.
I am grateful that I get to share every day with him.
I'm grateful for the way he loves me.
I'm grateful for the way he takes care of all of us.
He helps keep our family strong.

Today, I am grateful for Israel.


1 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'll be forever grateful for our little Smoky Mountain trip because it gave me a chance to hang out with Israel and learn for myself how truly awesome he is (his brothers and sisters are pretty great too)!

Post a Comment