Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Happy Heart: A New Beginning

This is our Keely.
Today she officially became Keely Blaylock.


I struggled with writing this post, because there are so many emotions I'm feeling tonight as I write this.
This has been a bittersweet day, but mostly sweet.
This has been a long, hard road for Keely. But she is a strong little stinker. In spite of the many different challenges she has had to face in her short little 12 years, she has turned into quite the impressive young lady.

And I couldn't be more proud of her.

It was wonderful to watch her today as she sat waiting for the judge to come in to the courtroom. We were all sitting on a long wooden bench, and I was on the end. As I looked down the bench, I saw Keely. You could see the anticipation and nervousness all over her face. Then I looked past her. And I saw that she was surrounded on both sides by brothers and sisters who loved her.
Brothers and sisters who have each made a choice to love her.

And I couldn't be more grateful. 

Then we got called up to stand before the judge.
As our lawyer asked us questions, I looked at my sweetheart Ricky.
I watched as he willingly assumed all responsibility for my daughter. 
I watched as he put his arm around her to reassure her.
I watched him smile.

I can't comprehend the weight that he feels as a father of nine children.
I can't imagine the stress he feels at times as he tries to provide for all of us.
He cherishes his role as a father, and his kids know it. 
He is always willing to make whatever sacrifice is necessary for the happiness and well-being of his family.
And today, as I looked at him, I was more grateful for him than I think I've ever been. 
What he did today showed what a great man he is.
It showed his goodness, his selflessness and his ability to love.

I have watched him over the past 6 1/2 years, choose on a daily basis to love Keely as his own. I have watched him treat her with the same tenderness and devotion that he treats his own. I have watched this great man choose to be a father to a little girl who really needed him.

And I dearly love him for that.
Thank you Ricky.
My heart is full as I type this and I am so very grateful for you.


No matter how nervous, anxious, scared or unsure Keely may feel at different times in her life, she will always be surrounded by a loving family who will support her and love her. 

She is officially one of the "Blaylock Girls"!


Oh, how I love her.

Keely Blaylock, you make my heart incredibly happy.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Congrats! I'm so happy for all of you!

Zappe Family said...

Wonderful news indeed. Your family is so beautiful.

kathy said...

wow you are so correct she has grown up to be a beautiful young lady. You are also right, God is with you blessing you with such a lovely family to have and love and them to love you back. God continue to bless you all.

John and Judy Vogel said...

She is so beautiful and I am so very happy for you all! I miss you, my friend

Katie said...

Yay! I can't believe how grown up Keely is! It was just yesterday that she was a baby!

Mom said...

I understand the mixed emotions. It has been such a long and difficult road. BUT, here you are!!! It may not have been the path you would have chosen, but it is certainly a welcome arrival. You are Ricky took a rough road to get to where you are, but the destiny has made it all worth it. Keely Shaye Blaylock!!! How totally exciting. Ricky is a great dad and will always take the best of care of all of his children and you. I am overjoyed for all of you. How wonderful that most of the kids were able to be there. I wish I had been able to be there with Dad too. Love you!! mom

Post a Comment